Recently, PS4 and PS5 users are having trouble connecting to the internet. You cannot connect to the Wi-Fi network within the time limit.
If you fall into the same category, then this article is for you. In this post, we share with you the tips and tricks to fix unable to connect to Wi-Fi within time limit issue.
Basically, routers need a certain amount of time to connect your devices to the internet. If the connection process takes too long, there is a problem with your router.
Sometimes all these errors are cleared by rebooting the router. If it doesn't fix it, read the next section for more information on this issue.
table of Contents
Cannot connect to Wi-Fi network within timeout - Problem Summary
In order to download video games or play online games, we need to connect our devices to the Internet. In most cases, users use a wireless network instead of a wired or ethernet network.
PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 users say that the Wi-Fi network is taking too long to connect. This means that the Internet cannot be established within the deadline.
Because of this, they see an error message on their console screen that says:Cannot connect to the Wi-Fi network within the timeout period.
There are many users who are having trouble with this error and getting stuck while downloading the video games. To help you, we investigated this issue and concluded that the following reasons are responsible.
- This mostly happens when your server takes longer to process a request from another device (PS4 or PS5).
- PlayStation Network is down, preventing it from connecting in time.
- There may be some problems with your network devices (router or modem).
- Your router firmware is outdated
- DNS server side issues will also trigger this issue on your PlayStation 4 or PS5 console.
- ip configuration error
Don't worry! You have various techniques to fix this problem and successfully connect your PS4/PS5 to Wi-Fi network without any delay.
Cannot connect to Wi-Fi network within timeout: Related Issues
Before moving on to the actual methods, let's look at the following paragraphs that explain different variations of this problem.
- PS4 cannot connect to the Wi-Fi network within the time limit:In this troubleshooting guide, we have shared all the tips and tricks that will work on your PlayStation 4 console. Follow the instructions and get rid of this Wi-Fi problem for life.
- PS4 won't connect to Wi-Fi, but everything else will:If your PS4 won't connect to WiFi, please restart your modem and router. If the issue is not resolved, please test your internet connection and update the router's firmware.
- PS4 unable to connect to server within timeout NW-31456-9:Whenever you see this NW-31456-9 issue, you should restart both your PS4 console and your router. After that, check the status of your PlayStation Network. If you still have the same problem, use the Ethernet connection on your PS4.
- Could not connect to PlayStation Network within Vita time limit:If you encounter a Wi-Fi problem while using PlayStation Vita, you can try all the troubleshooting methods listed in the following paragraphs.
- PS4 unable to connect to server within timeout WV-33907-2:Open the settings and navigate to the Network section to test the Internet connection. These issues occur due to network instability. You have to wait for some time or contact your ISP. In the meantime, please check the status of your PlayStation Network. If you think it's a waste of time, connect to a different network.
- Unable to connect to Wi-Fi network within PS5 time limit:First, restart your PlayStation 5 and check your internet connection. If these techniques did not resolve the issue, follow the advanced steps mentioned in this post.
Cannot connect to Wi-Fi network within timeout - basic troubleshooting steps
For each problem, we have to start with the basic methods. That is why we have listed some tricks to help you solve the problem of not being able to connect to Wi-Fi network within the time limit.
check your internet
Before moving to other methods, please check if your internet is working fine or not. To do this, you need to test it by connecting to the Internet on your smartphone or computer.
If you can do online activities (such as browsing the Internet and playing online games) on your devices, then there is no problem with your Internet.
If the Internet does not work, contact your service provider immediately.
Switch to a wired or Ethernet network
In previous posts or discussions on the Internet, we have advised users to use a wired network. Several studies state that the Ethernet connection is very good and recommended compared to Wi-Fi or wireless network.
Since the possibility of signal problems is higher, problems arise when using the Wi-Fi connection. If you want to go online on your PS4 or PS5, use the wired network instead of a wireless connection.
Troubleshooting steps: Cannot connect to Wi-Fi network within timeout period
If you still get the Unable to connect to Wi-Fi network within time limit error message on your PlayStation console, we recommend that you follow the advanced methods.
- Step 1 – Check the status of PSN (PlayStation Network)
- Step 2 – Test your internet connection
- Step 3 – Configuring the DNS server manually
- Step 4 – Restart your router and modem
- Step 5 – Install the latest router firmware
- Step 6 – Use another channel
- Step 7 – Configure Port Forwarding
- Paso 1
Check the status of PSN (PlayStation Network)
Sometimes your PlayStation Network doesn't work properly due to server or maintenance issues. If this happens to you, the Wi-Fi network will not connect in time.
To confirm this, you'd better check your PSN status by following the instructions below.
- Go to Settings on your PlayStation 5 console.
- Now navigate to the Network section.
- In the next step, select theView the status of PlayStation Network servicesPossibility.
If there is no problem with your PSN, go to the following tricks to fix it.
- paso 2
test your internet connection
Not only with your smartphone or PC, but you can also test the internet connection through the built-in option of PS4 or PS5. If you want to use this option, see the following procedure.
- Turn on your PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5 (depending on what you have).
- Go to Settings in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Select Network and then select thetest network connectionPossibility.
If there is a problem with the Internet connection, try connecting to your router again. To do this, select Set up Internet connection in the Settings menu.
Don't forget to enter the correct credentials to log in to your account.
- paso 3
Configuring the DNS server manually
Some users have suggested that configuring the DNS server manually can correct this type of error on our consoles. To do this, use the steps provided.
- Turn on your PS4 or PS5 console and go to Settings.
- In the network settings, select Set up an Internet connection.
- Choose Wi-Fi or LAN connection -> Choose Custom.
- In the next step, you need to select Automatic in the IP Address Settings tab.
- For DHCP Host Name, select Do not specify.
- Select Manual in the DNS settings to configure the DNS server manually.
- Enter the preferred and secondary DNS address and tap the Done button after entering each value.
After that, click on the Next button and select the Automatic option in the MTU settings. In the Proxy server section, select Do not use. Finally, click Test Internet Connection to check whether the connection is good or not.
- stage 4
Restart your router and modem
Although this trick is simple, restarting your router and modem resolves various network issues. We ask you to follow this method to connect to the Wi-Fi network within the time limit.
- Disconnect the power sources of your router and game console for at least 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now reconnect your router and console and turn on your PS4 or PS5.
- Finally, check if the internet works on your console or if it still shows the same error message.
- paso 5
Install the latest firmware of the router
Outdated devices are always dangerous and show one or the other problem. Since you are facing Wi-Fi issues, there might be some issues with your router. You will encounter these errors even if your router's firmware is not up to date.
Therefore, update the firmware of the router automatically or manually. Below we explain the automatic and manual processes for updating your router's software. For an automatic update
- Using your controller, go to settings -> tap on power saving settings.
- Select Features -> You can view it in idle mode.
- Now you have to activate itPower on over the networkYStay connected to the Internetoptions
Follow the steps below to update the firmware manually.
- Go to Settings -> Select System Software Update -> Click Update Now option.
- If there are new updates, click the Next button.
- It will start downloading these latest updates. When you see the license agreement, click the Accept button to start the installation process.
After the console restarts, verify that the Unable to connect to Wi-Fi network within timeout issue is resolved.
- paso 6
Use a different channel
Are you using a dual band router? If your answer is yes, then there is another way to fix this Wi-Fi problem. By changing the Wi-Fi channel number, you can put an end to these problems.
In simple words, if your PlayStation 4 uses 5GHz band channel, please use 2.4GHz channel. Your PS4 still not connecting to Wi-Fi network? Then proceed to the last technique left for you.
- paso 7
Configure port forwarding
You should check if your router is blocking the ports that your PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5 console uses to connect to the PlayStation Network.
Make sure that the following ports should be forwarded:
- TCP: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480
- UDP: 3478, 3479
If none of the solutions worked for you, we recommend that you use the Restoro repair tool.
- Click here to downloadProprietary software, rated excellent inTrustPilot.com
- Click Start Scan to find Windows problems that may be causing PC problems.
- Click Fix All to repair, optimize and secure your PC
Tips to avoid Cannot connect to the Wi-Fi network within the timeout period
- Before connecting your game console to the Internet, check if there are any problems with the network or with the ISP.
- Put the router in a position where the signals are strong or crowded so you never run into these kinds of errors.
- Please update your PS4 or PS5 system software and router firmware to stop seeing these error messages.
- If you have been experiencing problems with your router, please call the technicians immediately for repair or replacement to resolve this issue.
Contact official support
As we have already said, this problem of not being able to connect to Wi-Fi network within the time limit is not a difficult problem and it can be solved using our techniques.
If you can't fix it so far then you need to look for more tricks. You can find them on popular forums like Reddit, etc.
You can also seek help from network professionals or technicians who deal with these issues. Or contact your Internet Service Provider and ask for steps to fix the problem.
However, we recommend that you switch to the wired or Ethernet network to fix these issues in the future.
Final words: Conclusion
In general, the Ethernet connection is more secure and stable compared to Wi-Fi or a wireless network. However, if you want to use a Wi-Fi connection, you need to take care of the location of the router, the Wi-Fi signal, and the distance between the devices.
Still, when you face problems like the one you are facing right now? Then follow the steps one by one and run them on your device to fix the problem.
Whenever you have any questions, you can contact us through the comments section and clarify them. Once you solve it, comment and share the post with your friends.
We hope this troubleshooting guide has been helpful in fixing the WiFi issue on your PS4/PS5.